Where to Go Horseback Riding in Big Bend National Park
There’s no better way to explore Big Bend than on a horse. Luckily, there are two guided horseback trail ride options near the national park. Whether you’re looking for a smooth one-hour ride, or a more advanced trek that lasts all day, there is a stable suitable for your needs. Here are the two best places to go horseback riding near Big Bend National Park:
Big Bend Stables
Located within walking distance of Big Bend Resort and Adventures, Big Bend Stables offers guided horseback trail rides for the beginner as well as the seasoned rider. The horseback trails border on Big Bend National Park and traverse through the multi-colored landscapes of North America's great Chihuahua Desert. Choose between five tour options that will satisfy your adventurous side:
- Beginner Ride (1 hour) – Gentle and fun ride. Great for kids!
- Old Mine Tour (2 hours) – Trek along the last working quicksilver mine in the Big Bend area. Complete the ride through the watershed and skirt along the base of forbidding mountains.
- Indian Head/Pictograph Ride (3 hours) – Explore the quicksilver mine, and ride up onto Ocotillo Mesa for spectacular views of the national park. Finish your ride while viewing the Indian Head pictographs.
- Half-Day Ride (with lunch) – Take on this lengthier 4 ½ hour excursion with beautiful desert views, and enjoy a nice picnic lunch.
- Desert Sunset Ride – Ride into the sunset with your loved one on this romantic desert trail ride.
Just a 30-minute drive from Big Bend Resort, Lajitas Stables is for the more experienced rider. This riding outpost hosts hour-long, half-day, full-day, and even multi-day horseback rides along the Rio Grande. If you’re looking to try a new experience, Lajitas Stables also offers mule and burro rides. Trek through the wild, unique terrain as you explore the Chihuahua Desert and the Southwest Rocky Mountains in Big Bend Ranch State Park. Available tours include:
Contrabando Mesa Ride (2 hours) – Wind along the flank of Contrabando Mesa. From there, you’ll look down on the Rio Grande River and deep into Old Mexico.
Mountain Top Magic Ride (3 hours) – Climb to the top of Contrabando Mesa.
Spanish Window Ride (4 hours) – Ride up and out of the gorge formed by the Rio Grande, then end up at the Spanish Window, which offers one the best views in Big Bend.
Half-Day with Lunch West Texas Style – A little combination of the Mountain Top Magic Ride and the Spanish Window Ride, with lunch.
All Day – Spend the entire day on horseback. Call for reservations.
Mountain End-of-the-Day Ride (2 hours) – Enjoy a beautiful sunset ride! Available during peak season only.
After a long day on the trails, rest your head at Big Bend Resort and Adventures, just 3 miles from Big Bend National Park. Along with comfortable lodging, our resort has an RV Park with full hookups and a campground. No matter what activity or accommodations you choose when visiting the park, we look forward to welcoming you to Big Bend Resort. Reserve your stay with us today!
Looking to schedule more adventures this year? Visit foreverresorts.com to find your next destination.